Adolph Wittemann Collection

Title

Adolph Wittemann Collection

Description

Brothers Adolph and Herman Wittemann founded the Albertype Company, a publisher of postcards, in 1887. The company, located in Brooklyn, New York, operated until 1952. Adolph Wittemann was often on the road, photographing different cities and regions.

Collection Items

Main Street, Anna
Downtown Anna with a number of parked Model T Fords and other 1920s era automobiles.

St. Viator's College
View of the grounds at St. Viator's College, a Roman Catholic institution founded in Bourbonnais by the Viatorians as an academy for boys in 1865.

Foley's Shaft
The Foley family relocated to Canton in 1902, and established "Foley's Shaft" on the Shepley farm, a very successful coal mining company.

Langenfeld Hotel
The Langenfeld hotel, established in 1912 by John Langenfeld in Centralia, became the premier hotel in the area.

Haley Eye Infirmary
The Haley Eye Infirmary was a well known optometry treatment center in Centralia.

Prayer for Rain Statue and Johnson Fountain
The Prayer for Rain statue sits atop a limestone base in the middle of Johnson Fountain at West Side Park in Champaign. Dedicated in 1899, the statue depicts a Native American with raised arms and head tilted skyward.

Edmund J. James
Edmund J. James was president of the University of Illinois from 1904 to 1920.

Exchange Hotel
Several buggies line the street across from the Exchange Hotel and clock tower in Chicago.

Saint Paul's Universalist Church, Chicago
Saint Paul's Universalist Church was the first Universalist church in Chicago. Organized in 1836, the first church building was built in 1844. The image is a photograph of the fourth church building erected in 1888 on Prairie Avenue and 30th Street.

Palace Store Co.
View from the street of the Palace Store Co. in Edwardsville.

Downtown Evanston
View of old downtown, with a large fountain being the focal point.

The Pure Food Grocery
The Pure Food Grocery store located in the Monmouth shopping district.

Monmouth College President's Home
Home of an unknown Monmouth College president.

Hotel Emmerson, Lobby
The Mt. Vernon Hotel, established in 1926, was later renamed "Hotel Emmerson" to honor Illinois Governor Louis Emmerson. The hotel stood until 1983 when it was demolished to make room for a parking lot.

Hotel Emmerson, Dinning Room
The Mt. Vernon Hotel, established in 1926, was later renamed "Hotel Emmerson" to honor Illinois Governor Louis Emmerson. The hotel stood until 1983 when it was demolished to make room for a parking lot.

Starved Rock State Park
Designated a state park when it was acquired by the State of Illinois in 1911, the park includes many canyons and more than 2,600 acres of land near Oglesby.

Starved Rock State Park, Lodge
Designated a state park when it was acquired by the State of Illinois in 1911, the park includes many canyons and more than 2,600 acres of land near Oglesby.
View all 17 items