Browse (96 total)

  • McCormick Theological Seminary Collection

The first classes at the McCormick Theological Seminary took place in a log cabin in Indiana in 1829. During the Civil War the school relocated to Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood. In 1859 Chicago entrepreneur and Presbyterian layman Cyrus H. McCormick and his wife, Nettie Fowler McCormick, became the seminary's major financial patrons. The relationship between the McCormick family and the school remained well into the twentieth century. Shortly after McCormick’s death in 1884, the school was renamed McCormick Theological Seminary. Several campus buildings are named for McCormick family members including McCormick Hall, Fowler Hall, and Virginia Library.

After Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination in 1968, seminary faculty and students were active in the civil rights movement and provided assistance to displaced and injured participants. The seminary relocated to Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood in 1975.

The photographs in this collection include portraits of the McCormick Theological Seminary Class of 1896, school professors, and campus buildings.

Help improve access to historic documents by transcribing handwritten pages (look for START TRANSCRIBING or CONTINUE TRANSCRIBING documents) and reviewing the transcriptions of others (look for NEEDS REVIEW documents). Sign in or create an account and then select an item below to get started.