Browse (12 total)
- St. Mary's School Class of 1888 Collection
The St. Mary's School, a higher education institution for girls affiliated with the Episcopal Church, opened in 1868 with Reverend Charles Wesley Leffingwell as the first Rector. Leffingwell's wife, Elizabeth, served as the first matron of the school.
St. Mary's School first operated from the former Ewing Female University building which closed in 1867 and whose buildings were donated to the Episcopal Church. The school quickly grew and constructed an addition to the building after four years of operation. A fire at the school in 1883 destroyed the building and its contents. The school reopened within a month at Ansgari College in Knoxville, Illinois. St. Mary's School closed in the 1930s.
Photographs in this collection include images of the students of the Class of 1888.
Help improve access to historic documents by transcribing handwritten pages (look for START TRANSCRIBING or CONTINUE TRANSCRIBING documents) and reviewing the transcriptions of others (look for NEEDS REVIEW documents). Sign in or create an account and then select an item below to get started.