Browse (12 total)

  • Kankakee State Hospital Collection

The Kankakee State Hospital originally opened in 1879 as the Illinois Eastern Hospital for the Insane under the Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities. In 1886 the hopital began serving as a training school for nurses. The institute became the Kankakee State Hospital in 1910 after the abolishment of the Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities. The hospital operated under the Department of Public Welfare beginning in 1917 until the Department of Mental Health's establishment in 1961. In 1974, the hospital became a treatment center for developmentally disabled patients and all other patients were transferred to other hospitals. At that time the hospital was renamed the Samuel H. Shapiro Developmental Center in honor of the Illinois governor and former Kankakee resident.

Photographs in this collection include images of the Kankakee State Hospital patients, activities, and buildings.

Help improve access to historic documents by transcribing handwritten pages (look for START TRANSCRIBING or CONTINUE TRANSCRIBING documents) and reviewing the transcriptions of others (look for NEEDS REVIEW documents). Sign in or create an account and then select an item below to get started.

ca. 1950

1955-XX-XX

n.d.